SENIOR MINE ENGINEER
Enefit American Oil is part of the Enefit Group – the largest oil shale processing company in the world and the leader in producing oil out of oil shale. Enefit’s parent company in Estonia employs more than 7,400 people and provides 91 percent of Estonia’s electricity, which is produced out of oil shale. The company has 80 years of oil shale mining experience, with more than 1 billion tons of oil shale mined, and three decades of experience producing shale oil. Operations are being expanded to the countries of Jordan and to Utah.
Enefit American Oil was established in 2011 to develop an integrated oil shale oil industry in Utah. Our properties in Uinta Basin are estimated to contain 2.6 billion barrels of shale oil in place and span more than 30 thousand acres.
We are currently looking for an experienced Senior Mine Engineer to join us.
This is a key position and requires someone with a proven track record of successfully overseeing the planning and development of large new mineral mining operations in the US.
You shall be responsible for all geologic exploration, modeling, mine planning and engineering functions. The ideal candidate would have a strong geology background as well as both mine planning and operating experience. You are expected to provide expertise, technical oversight and support for the team on topics such as exploration, geologic and block modeling, mine planning, materials handling, permitting, spent shale disposal, mine optimization, scheduling, mine operations and reporting. The candidate is also expected to support discussions with state and federal government agencies on topics such as the DOGM mine permit, NEPA, and other permitting and regulatory issues.
Your key tasks shall include:
- management of exploration (drilling programs), geologic and block modeling and resource/reserve evaluations, as well as mine design, engineering and planning (short and long term) development and scheduling taking into account mineral reserves and restrictions;
- coordination with the permitting team (on issues to include DOGM LMO, NEPA, Army Corp dredge and fill, PSD, etc – as applicable to the material handling, mining and spent shale disposal topics) and related discussion and negotiations, including interaction with state and federal agencies and regional environmental groups in order to support the permitting processes;
- conducting feasibility studies and preparing cost estimates for material handling, mining, and spent shale handling in order to contribute to business plan developments;
- outlining terms of tendering, contracts and agreements for (mining) contractors, including holding negotiations and potentially dispute resolutions and following-up billing;
- defining the applicable mining methods, plans, safety principles, etc;
- managing the mining team and all other tasks that are required in the start-up phase of the material handling, mine, and spent shale disposal.
- BS or MS in Mining Engineering or a related field
- Over 10 years’ experience in mine development and mining operations
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of State and Federal mining regulations
- An understanding of large, complex, capital intensive industrial projects is essential
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with project owners, consultants (engineering and construction), permitting agencies and government regulators
- Capable of working in a team, using judgment and discretion to make decisions which may impact overall facility operations, feasibility and compliance
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Flexibility in working in different roles / taking on different roles as the project evolves
- Experience with computer based geologic modeling and mine design programs is an advantage
This position offers you a unique opportunity to be at the development forefront of a large mining and processing complex and a new industry in the United States. The job provides ongoing career development opportunities together with a large amount of autonomy. Our employees enjoy a competitive salary (dependent on experience), paid vacation, life and health insurance and a 401k retirement plan.
Enefit has offices in Salt Lake City and Vernal, Utah. The position is strongly preferred to be located in Vernal; regular travel between the two offices and the project site south of Vernal is expected (personal vehicle is required, but mileage will be reimbursed).
If this opportunity sounds inspiring then don’t hesitate – submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.